Before leaving for the trip, Hanna wanted to buy an e-reader so that we didn’t have to worry about taking up precious room in our small bags. We, however, ultimately decided that it would just be another electronic that could possibly be stolen.
Instead we bought a few books for a quarter each at library book sales before we left the States. I also loaded up my iPod with classic audiobooks (think Dracula, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, and Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland…yes, it’s obnoxious some titles aren’t the same as their movies. Stupid dead authors.) I thought that audiobooks would be perfect for long train and bus rides. The sad part? I completely forgot I had the audiobooks and rarely listened to my iPod. Shocking, no? (The iPod did come in handy on overnight Chinese trains. I can no longer listen to the Away We Go soundtrack without being immediately transported to the top bunk of a sleeper car.) Not a single audiobook was listened to by either of us. Whoops.
So how did we get books along the way, you ask? Book exchanges at hostels. We spent the most beach time in Thailand, yet it was often hard to find books in English at guesthouses and bungalows (hence why we both read Ozzy’s autobiography). German travelers rule the world, thus most books we stumbled across were in German. Yes, I admit that I became paranoid about not having books to read while in Thailand so I would stock up on a few books without leaving the same number. I’m a horrible human being.
Overall I definitely did not read as many books as I expected to, but I’m glad I had the opportunity to find and reread all seven Harry Potter books, especially with the final movies coming out. Hanna beat me in terms of books read (her report is forthcoming), but I chalk that up to all of the chick lit she zooms right through. I, on the other hand, read literary classics by Wendy Williams.
Here’s my final list of books read. Don’t judge.
1) THE TERROR by dan simmons
2) JURASSIC PARK by michael crichton
3) I AM OZZY by ozzy osbourne
4) THE BEACH by alex garland
5) KAITLYN by kevin lewis
6) THE SHADOW OF THE WIND by carlos ruiz zafón
7) RITZ HARPER GOES TO HOLLYWOOD! by wendy williams
8 ) HARRY POTTER AND THE PHILOSOPHER’S STONE by j.k. rowling
9) HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS by j.k. rowling
10) HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN by j.k. rowling
11) HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE by j.k. rowling
12) HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX by j.k. rowling
13) HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE by j.k. rowling
14) HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS by j.k. rowling
15) THE ECHO MAKER by richard powers
16) DIE TRYING by lee child
17) BOSSYPANTS by tina fey
18) ROOM by emma donoghue
19) MY BOOKY WOOK by russell brand
20) GHOSTWRITTEN by david mitchell
21) ADRENALINE by jeff abbott
22) half of THE FINAL TESTAMENT OF THE HOLY BIBLE by james frey
Tell me what you think about my literary selections. I’m pretty pleased that we didn’t have to resort to reading crap for the most part.